With the increasing craze of intermittent fasting, it is becoming one of the easiest and shortest diet plans to get back to a healthy lifestyle. Many people across the globe are opting for intermittent fasting due to its high rate of success and visible results.
Intermittent fasting is a pattern of eating which is constituted of alternate periods of eating and fasting. The intermittent fasting involves specific food items but more importantly it lays stress on how to space the meals to derive optimum result of intermittent fasting
The majority of people choose intermittent fasting to lose weight, but that is not the only advantage of intermittent fasting. It also helps to
Improve insulin sensitivity
The regulation of gene expression
Instances of growth hormone action in the body
Intermittent fasting also helps to improve the overall health of the brain
Keeps away the common symptoms of ageing
Intermittent fasting reduces the amount of bad cholesterol in the body and ensures a proper healthy state of your heart
Intermittent fasting has been shown to dramatically balance the hormonal level of the body
Let us have a look at the popular methods of intermittent fasting
1. Weekly intermittent fasting – if you are just a beginner and on the verge to kick start your intermittent fasting journey, then try this out. Initially you will not be able to take up extremely difficult targets, hence don’t lose heart neither force yourself. Simply try out 24 hours fasting for one day per week. So, you skip two meals per week. For a few months, continue like this. The results might not be prominently visible but you will get used to it. After a month or two, you can take up other strict methodologies
2. One fasting interval between two eating days: – This method works when you drop eating for 24 hours. Suppose you eat dinner one day, then pause your eating for one whole day till next day’s dinner
3. The 16:8 hours method: – This method is based on the principle of fasting for 16 hours and then eating for the next 8 hours. This is the most primitive method of intermittent fasting and quite effective too. Usually, you need to skip the breakfast in this process. You eat the lunch and then skip the next meals. You start eating after 16 hours again
4. 5:2 method–this diet plan is based on restricting your calories to 500 calories for any two days of the week. There are two important checkpoints for this method. First, you got to eat normal healthy food on all the other 5 days. Secondly, the two restriction days cannot be consecutive.
5. Day night fasting method – the diurnally based diet cycle is another good way for intermittent fasting. You fast during the entire day, and start eating from sunset onwards. The calorie intake should be high enough to meet the requirements
6. Alternate fasting– you can eat for one day and skip the meal on the nest day. that means you fast every alternated day
7. 20:4 fasting method – best suited for seasoned intermittent fasters and corporate workers. You eat for hours and fast for the next hours. This is quite tough to accomplish and should be attempted by people who have already passed easier phases of intermittent fasting. The 4 hours that you eat for should fulfill your calorie requirement as well as your heart’s desire. If you are extremely busy throughout the day and hardly get time to eat, you can go for this method. Also, if you are having a festival or party ahead, where you will sumptuously cross your calorie limit, you can do this to flush out your body an stay fit
8. Meal skipping–skip any one meal per day. this is a easy start to intermittent fasting. You basically cannot deprive your body of its requirements and hence need to eat properly for the other two meals. Meal skipping will prepare you nicely for the upcoming intermittent challenges. Perfect for beginners.
9. 36 hours fasting – designing your meals with a gap of one full day and half of the next day is 36 hours fasting. So you skip meals for 24 plus 12 hours and eat next to it. Don’t attempt this method at the beginning only as it might bring about a lot of adverse effects like nausea or fainting
10. Spontaneous meal skipping: – This is the most relaxed method of intermittent fasting. There is no hard and fast rule in this process, you can skip a meal or meals whenever you feel to do. There is no pre conceived regulation or planning. It is totally based upon the choice and circumstance of the individual
Hope this article was useful to you. Stay fit and be happy.