If you suffer from back weakness and are regularly affected by back pain, weight loss can become a distant dream. Yoga can be a holistic solution if you are trying to lose weight despite back pain. The first step to start protecting your back is to maintain good posture, and with the help of these simple yoga asanas, you will be able to do that and lose fat too.
HealthShots spoke with Grandmaster Akshar, yoga master, spiritual guru and lifestyle coach who listed some yoga poses to speed up weight loss in people with back problems
“The following asanas can be done anywhere and anytime. To alleviate your back related problems and experience weight loss, practice these poses at least 3 times a week. By taking a few minutes every day, you will improve your spine health and avoid the stress of back pain,” says Akshar.
A word of advice before starting training:
- Get comfortable doing yoga using bricks, pillows, cushions or any other props to help you in your asanas.
- In case of any pain or discomfort, stop immediately and rest.
- Hold the poses for a shorter duration initially if you are a beginner. You can gradually increase the duration.
- Please consult a doctor or your physical therapist to help you with which exercises are right for you.
Yoga asanas for weight loss if you have back pain:
1. Naukasana (Boat Pose)
- Sit with your legs extended in front of you.
- Keeping your spine straight and your hands resting by your hips, bend your knees and lean back slightly.
- Now inhale and lift your legs alternately.
- Keep your palms on the floor beside you.
- Keep your toes at eye level and lengthen your spine.
- Hold the asana for 5-10 seconds and release.
2. Marjariasana (Cat Cow Pose)
Urdhva Mukhi Marjari Asana
- To do the Cat Cow Pose, place your knees on the mat, placing your palms under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Inhale, curve your spine to look up.
Adho Mukhi Marjari Asana
- Exhale, curve your spine into a rounded back and let your neck drop.
- Focus your gaze towards your chest.
3. Santolanasana (plank)
- To do a plank, start in Marjariasana.
- straighten your knees
- Keep your knees, pelvis and spine in line and your arms straight.
- Hold the asana for 5-10 seconds and release the pose
4. Vasishtasana (Side Plank)
- Start with Santholanasan (Plank).
- With your left hand palm down, lift your right hand off the floor.
- Turn your body to the right side and see if you can rest your heels on top of each other.
- Raise your right arm and turn your head and look up.
- Hold the asana for a while.
- Repeat on left side
5. Bhujangasana (Snake Pose)
- Lie on your stomach.
- Spread your palms under your shoulders and elbows close to your sides.
- Inhale as you slowly lift your chest off the floor to your navel.
- Keep your pelvis on the floor.
- Widen your shoulder blades and engage them by lifting your chest forward.
- Slowly lower your torso
With the help of a strong core, you can protect your back. And these simple yoga asanas can be practiced for weight loss even by a beginner. Bhujangasana is a bending back pose and helpful for keeping your back healthy. However, people who have chronic or acute back pain are advised to avoid this pose. In case of back related problems, keep your curve at an angle of less than 30 degrees.