With age, a woman’s body undergoes several chemical and hormonal changes. Physical factors like dirt, pollution and UV rays can negatively affect the health of your skin and hair. In women, perimenopause and menopause can also contribute to an overall loss of skin smoothness and cause skin texture. Sigh! All these reasons conspire to cause textured skin, bumps, acne, and uneven skin tone. And, our dreams of getting clean skin go for a toss!
Before starting to restore our skin’s glow, HealthShots spoke with Dr.
Dr Kapoor lists the following causes of textured skin:
- The buildup of dead, keratinized cells and irritation also affect the texture and appearance of the skin.
- People who have a history of acne may have small bumps under the skin, those with acne scars will have atrophic scars, excess oil producers will have enlarged pores, and those who pick at their pimples may get papular scars.
- Dry or rough skin, blemishes, fine lines and wrinkles, enlarged open pores and scars are all left behind after acne. And it causes textured skin conditions.
- Excessive buildup of dead cells on the surface of the skin, genetics, sun damage and pollution, and a poor skin care routine and diet are some other common causes of uneven skin texture.
Here’s how to get rid of uneven, textured skin for a clear-skinned look:
1. Make friends with AHA and BHA
Opt for skin acids such as AHAs and BHAs. Alpha Hydroxy Acid and Beta Hydroxy Acid are two hydroxy acids popularly found in various skin care products such as cleansers, moisturizers, peels and exfoliating products. These are very good for optimal skin texture and promote clear skin.
2. Don’t be late to exfoliate
We can’t talk about clear and smooth skin without talking about exfoliation. Whether using a physical exfoliator like crushed walnut or gentle jojoba beads or a chemical exfoliator like glycolic or lactic acid. Exfoliation will remove dead skin cells that dull the skin and clog pores and give it a glassy texture.
3. Pair with cleanser and moisturizer and sunscreen
One of the best ways to keep your skin healthy is to cleanse it well before going to bed. To ensure all makeup, sunscreen and dust are out.
Keep your skin hydrated with a moisturizer made for your skin type. The Doctor. Kapoor suggests that sunburn or sun damage is one of the most common reasons for uneven skin texture. Keep your skin protected with a broad-spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen, and try to cover as much as you can when you go out in the sun. Don’t forget, protected skin gives way to clean skin!
Chemical peels are a very popular treatment to get rid of textured and uneven skin condition. Change your regular facial at a salon to an in-clinic fruit acid peel and let a professional deal with that irritating dry skin buildup. Chemical peels provide instant results and reveal fresh, glowing skin from within.
If any natural method doesn’t suit your skin, opt for a balanced mix of in-clinic treatments that may show more pronounced results, and complement it with a good skin care routine at home. All these steps will give you clear skin in no time!